Pages

Wednesday, December 11, 2013

It's Like I Am New Here

Last Wednesday Boy 2 announced that they didn't have school on Thursday or Friday. Parent Teacher Interviews, you know.  I was taken by surprise but checked his organizer which confirmed his story:




Thursday morning I woke up at 7 and thought, "Ah, no school, I am going to sleep in" and went back to sleep.

At about 8:15 Boy 1 starts banging on my door yelling, "We are going to be late for school and I have an  ice cream party today!" This panic woke Boy 2 who started arguing, "No, there's no school!!" Since I was pretty sure one of them was dreaming, I called the school to find out - they should know, right?  Judging by the tone of the response I should have known there was school, also.  I felt embarrassed for a second then thought, "Surely that isn't the dumbest thing anyone has ever done."  I raced them to school and dumped them at the door only 10 minutes late which I felt was a success, all things considered. Fifteen minutes later the school calls to report the children were late.  I felt I had to explain my story again. The receptionist started giggling, "Oh, that was you that called earlier, heehee..."   Fantastic. We were the morning joke.  I started to feel embarrassed and like a bad mom but I recovered pretty quickly.  I am resilient/experienced/gifted that way. Yay me.

No comments: